Fixed my first bug in C++. PROFIT!

I'm still trying to learn C++ by fixing bugs. Well, the bug I wanted to fix in Ekiga had already being solved upstream (should I be happy or sad?), but I had fun trying to debug it anyway.

Luckily I found another one to fix today. After 1h30m playing around with gdb and adding debug messages everywhere, I fixed a bug in Gnote where preferences were not being set unless you restarted the program.

The biggest challenge was to find out that all code was written already, it just wasn't working. I initially thought I'd have to write the callback methods myself, but then I saw references to "gconf...notify" in the code, which would normally be enough.

Reading the gconf API docs was sufficient for me to find the culprit. 2-liner patch submitted ;-).

Popular posts from this blog

How to crack Windows Terminal Services 3 month trial

Caveats about Linux connection tracking and high traffic servers

How to install VirtualBox on Scaleway's x86_64 servers